Remember back in the beginning of May when I was quite concerned about my hair? No? Well I was. I devised a plan in an attempt to rescue my poor mistreated hair. Not an entirely terrible plan is it turns out.
It’s only been little more than a month and I would say the current status of my hair is quite healthy.
- Got my hair cut. As you know. I already had my hair cut at the time of writing. While it didn’t do much to improve my hair’s health in itself, you just always feel a little better with a fresh cut, don’t you?
- Shampoo update. I did also mention a switch to the Disp hydrating shampoo and conditioner combo, still working well. But I’ve also added another shampoo, because I am well aware of the water here being quite hard. E.g. doing laundry here is not like doing laundry elsewhere were I’ve lived, I need lots of detergent (lots!) all year round so that the clothes won’t just stick to my body from static electricity. Just imagine what this water does to your hair..but apparently, there are shampoos for this. I’ve got a cleansing shampoo which does seem to work brilliantly so far. I was worried it would strip my hair, but it really doesn’t. It just makes my hair feel proper clean. (Just wishing the hairdresser could have told me that. She must know, right?) This particular shampoo is not cruelty-free, if anyone knows
- Stock up on treatments + use styling products in moderation. All products I currently use (treatments and otherwise):
This may seem like quite a list, but it’s all about the frequency of use. Key for me has been to cut way back on washing. I’ve been washing my hair on a daily basis for years and years, and yes I know that is possibly worse than my use of hot tools. I have tried using Batiste to decrease number of washes in the past, didn’t stick. But this time, I’m managing to wash my hair twice a week, using Batiste between washes, something I thought would just never happen. Also, I alternate between using the hydrating shampoo and the cleansing shampoo. After washing I usually use the hair growth, and I’ll keep using it until it’s empty but after that I’ll use oils only. They seem quite enough. Currently, I alternate between argan oil and coconut oil. If the ends feel dry, I’ll use the Fudge anti-frizz, and the Fudge heat protection on my fringe for straightening. And if I’m being honest, I have straightened my hair twice since May. Old habits die hard. If I need texture I use the Lush R&B, I do like it, but I find the smell is kind of strong. And oh, still in love with the Body Shop bamboo brush. Tangle teezer? Pft! I ain’t going back to plastic after this. Not a chance.
- Hairdos remain an absolut savior for me, until I get some length back. My hair just does weird things when not straightened and being this length, which is part of the reason I’ve been overwashing and overusing my hot tools.
- Diet – I did have some sort of theory that my diet could be to blame. I’ve decided against this theory. Because a. I did try adding more nuts and seeds to my diet. Did not make me feel better in any way, and it felt forced, it wasn’t sustainable. b. had a blood test, and all my values were good. The reason for the blood test was that I panicked and went to see a doctor about this; I go see doctors when I’m stressed as stress results in hypochondria for me, I am well aware of this but I keep doing it. Lately, it’s been same time each year; April is fucking hell where I currently work. This year, it still hasn’t let up. But let’s get back to the blood test, I also figured it was an excellent opportunity to make sure my vegan diet was not leaving me deprived in any way. I was concerned I was iron deficient still/again. Last I checked, while still on a pescetarian diet + taking iron supplements, I was deficient. I did a little test this time, no supplements for quite a while before the blood test, result: on the lower side, but def not deficient. I take that as evidence that a vegan diet works real well for me.
So now I’m just hoping these new habits will stick; I do tend to do things in periods. But for now, it seems I’ve got things sorted.