It seems I have more or less accidentally started a NYX lip color collection. Unfortunate because any type collection is not something I aim for; I aim for practical and useful. Reviewing my purchases I find that is not exactly the case.
As far I can tell, there are two main reason I’ve ended up with more NYX lip colors than I need:
- They meet the criterion cruelty-free. I don’t buy no more of that animal-tested junk. Also efficiently making the selection process a bit easier by reducing the number choices.
- Shade range. A pretty color will seduce me any day of the week.
I need to start thinking beyond ‘Oo pretty color‘. Let’s review.
I currently have the following in my possession:
- Butter gloss
- Liquid Suede
- Matte lipstick
- Soft matte lip cream
Butter gloss. At one point in time, I really liked gloss. Right now is not that time. And I’m not talking about the fact that mattes seem to be all the rage right now; I’m talking about impracticality. I live on a island. It is windy. Gloss and windy are not exactly a match made in heaven. You’d think if you put your hair up before heading out, you’re in the clear, but there’s always some fly-away strand getting stuck in your gloss, so you have hair on your lips and gunk in your hair. I know this, I knew this, if only I’d stopped and thought, for a second even. But no, all there is is ‘Oo. pretty’.
Liquid Suede. Now we’re getting somewhere! This is a far more practical product; decent lasting power, i.e. you won’t have to top up after a cup of tea, applies even, not drying and not that sticky (it is a bit sticky, but not gets stuck in your hair sticky).
I would, however, say that there are 2 problems related to this product, actually specifically the shade Stone Fox:
- Don’t let the picture in the store fool you; this is not dark grey, it is blue. Blue, blue, blue. Could be worse, but I don’t particularly need a blue shade, even if I do think it’s fun to use from time to time.
- This shit, it don’t come off. I took a shower and came out still wearing it. Fortunately there is almond oil. That’ll get rid of any makeup.
Other than that, absolutely LOVE both Soft Spoken and Sandstorm. Excellent everyday shades I need in my collection.
Lingerie. Lingerie is similar to the Liquid Suede, but I would say, at least the shade Honeymoon which is the one I have, does not apply quite evenly, and seems just slightly stickier. The shade is absolutely lovely tho, I do not regret paying more for delivery than the product actually costs, that’s the extent of my love.
Matte lipstick. I don’t usually buy regular bullet lipsticks anymore; I got it in my head that they don’t have the same lasting power as the liquid lipsticks. Maybe it’s just in my head, maybe not, it’s not as if I’ve tried them all. Either way, that is the case with this one and it’s my main problem: you can’t have a cup of tea without topping up. In fact, it seems it doesn’t last very well even if you avoid putting things in your mouth.
Again I love the shade, but if I’m being honest, there is little, if any, difference between Minx (which is what this one is called), Honeymoon and Sandstorm. Could have done without.
Soft matte lip cream. Again, similar to Liquid Suede but as the name would suggest, creamier. Slightly inferior to Liquid Suede in terms of lasting power, but I would recommend this to anyone, easy. Not only because I love the shades; I’ve got Cairo (the lighter one), and Rome, which for some reason always makes me think of Roma, Roma, where is my country. Anyone else suffering from this? No? No one? It’s a very good song I’ll have you know. Anyway. I would argue I need both of these colors, Cairo to look sickly and Rome for grungier looks. But the truth is Rome is far too similar to Soft Spoken. I suppose there can be no doubt which shades I like.
What this all boils down to is 2 more criteria is needed:
- The characteristics of this particular lip product suits my purposes, i.e. I can have my tea, I can get it off, it’s a useable shade. I’d add doesn’t dry the hell out of my lips, but so far, I don’t find that is something NYX does. Sleek on the other hand…
- This is a new shade that I could get a lot of use out of.
That being said, I don’t intend do throw anything away. I know, minimalism is very popular, but I do like my things; getting rid of them would not increase my level of happiness.
What might increase my level of happiness though, is the soft matte lip cream in Transylvania.
I think I might have a problem.
Lots of love,